Counting Macros #1
It's that time of the year again. Thanksgiving has passed and Christmas is only a few days away. If you all are like me, during this time of the year, I find it very hard to dodge all great food that is lying around starring at me. What makes it even better is New Years is just around the corner and you know what that means. Time for everybody to make those new years resolution diets, where you throw everything in your pantry away. Pour out any alcohol you in the fridge. Then you go to the grocery store and spend $300 just on yourself and your buggy consist of fish, celery sticks and slim fast. A few days goes by and you end up ticked off, your body hasn't changed. You actually gained three pounds and you're broke. You may ask yourself,
"What can I do that is realistic, fits my time, budget, and produces result?" Thats what I want to talk to you guys about over the next few weeks.
First off I am not a nutritionist. Im solely passing on proven information and tips that have been given to me. One statement that we hear all the time is, "I workout several times a week and I eat good foods but nothing is changing. Im not seeing the results I want." Normally my next questions is "Ok well how much are you eating?"
The point is you may consume a healthy 3 meals a day, with healthy snacks in between, but are you consuming the right amount of nutrients your body needs. Your body needs the proper amount of calories. You need to fill those calories with the right amount of protein, fats, and carbs. This is known as counting your macros. I know what your thinking. It sounds complicated. At first it's tough getting into a routine. The good news is there are free apps out there to help you. The two that I would recommend are My Macros or My Fitness Pal. The only additional thing you may want to buy is a food scale. Got one from target for under $20 and it works great.
Counting macros is a lifestyle, not a diet. Start out slow, so for the first week I challenge you to start tracking your food. Don't change your menu just yet. Get into the habit of logging your food. This is going to tell you exactly what your macro-nutrition is currently and make you aware of what is fueling your body. If the app ask you what percentages you would like to use for your macros. A good place to start is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.
Guys and girls good luck and information and tips will be posted every week to help you get closer to reaching your nutritional goals.
These 6 benefits will make you want to start counting macros today!
1. You will be more likely to stick to your diet. With no food restrictions, you can make room for those special indulgences and still reach your health and fitness goals.
2. You can still go out with friends and enjoy a meal. Being on a strict diet and having a social life can be difficult, if not impossible. Plan ahead for a night out with friends, good food and some drinks and you don’t have to fall “off the wagon”!
3. Meal prep doesn’t take as much time. Traditional dieters can spend hours each week prepping meals. With nothing off limits, there’s more flexibility in what you can eat and it takes less time to prepare!
4. You will become more educated about food. As you track, you learn about the nutritional content of your food and it may surprise you to learn what little nutritional value some foods contain. While you may not track your daily diet for life, learning how to make better food choices is a valuable tool!
5. Improved performance. Getting the right amount of each macronutrient in your diet can have a significant impact on your energy in the gym and out of the gym 😉
6. It works! Science and many success stories show that counting macros works. When done right, you can achieve weight loss or muscle gain goals.
With all the benefits of counting macros, it really doesn’t make sense to try anything else. You can enjoy food throughout your life with a macro counting lifestyle!